Friday, August 12, 2011

Furthermore...

Just to add to things while I wait for the roster set to be released...This is a skippable post...it's more for me because I'm trying some new ways of handling the minors.

I have become more and more involved and will handle minor league promotions/demotions. I will also play up strategy. I am hoping that with a better roster set and my better handling of it, I will not get so frustrated to see Julio Teheran become a nothing-prospect within a few years. That hurts.

Rules of my minor league handling for year one...
Roster makeup
6 starting pitchers...will begin the year as a six person rotation. An injury will force them to five unless it's season-ending when I will make a promotion/signing. I will be using pitch counts based both on age, level, and stamina. The stamina is based on my scout's ratings. So, if 20-year old has a 15 stamina in AAA, I'd probably up his pitch count to 90, but if he was in A-ball, it might be just 75. If he's closer to 25 or a journeyman minor leaguer, he might be allowed to hit 110 or simply not have a pitch count. If he only has two pitches, he will likely not start in the high levels unless needed to.
7 relief pitchers...Ideally, there will be at least one long guy with maybe 8 or so stamina.
2 catchers
starting infield plus at least two capable of playing middle infield
5 outfielders

After every month, I will make decisions based on promotions/demotions. That decisions will likely increase as the season progresses. For instance, short of a huge first month, the promotions will likely only be for people repeating a level. Previous month stats are important for promotion as well. Maybe he's hitting .260 with 12 homers and 45 RBI, but over the last month, he's hitting .355 with five homers and 18 RBI. Maybe something clicked and he needs a new challenge. In general, these promotions will be handed to those who are above one-star potential. Short of a magical season or players moved up because of September, no more than one promotion per season.

Lynchburg will be the "high-A" and Danville will be the "advanced rookie" levels. If you hit 25 and haven't been waylay-ed my injuries, you must be at AA or higher. If you hit 22 and haven't made it to A ball and are not a recent draftee, you will be forced up or released.

Anyway...hopefully, I will develop players better and not see so many prospects fall to the wayside.

No comments:

Post a Comment